As household to one of the 10 major educational facilities of nursing in the state and the professional medical school that trains far more doctors than any other general public university in the state, Ohio University has developed to be a nationwide leader in planning students for occupations in health.
Now, the College is launching a statewide branding campaign to increase consciousness of its management in overall health as it seems to be to continue attracting the state’s best and brightest not only to regular medical degree packages but also to its expanding offerings in relevant degrees such as healthcare management, well being communications and more.
“We have an astounding story to inform in conditions of our do the job training wellness pros to serve all about the condition and the area, specially in rural communities that require care, as nicely as our groundbreaking exploration on commonplace wellness troubles like diabetes,” claimed OHIO President Hugh Sherman. “It’s time we convey to that tale.”
OHIO has noticed important development in its health care enrollments more than the very last 20 yrs with the launch of its absolutely on line RN to BSN plan, the addition of graduate-level nursing applications, and the growth of OHIO’s Heritage School of Osteopathic Medication. By way of the generosity of the Osteopathic Heritage Basis, and in partnership with major health care techniques like OhioHealth and Cleveland Clinic, the Heritage College or university is at this time teaching just beneath 1,000 healthcare students at three campuses and 15 clinical cohort sites throughout Ohio. The University has more than 4,300 learners enrolled in graduate and undergraduate nursing applications.
“By expanding opportunities for healthcare coaching, Ohio College has expanded its reach exponentially, which ultimately interprets to far better care for our communities,” explained OHIO’s Chief Health care Affairs Officer and Heritage Faculty Govt Dean Ken Johnson, D.O. “Together, we are getting ready graduates throughout the healthcare spectrum to address the most pervasive health care wants of Ohioans.”
OHIO’s University of Health Sciences and Professions, which is dwelling to the College of Nursing, is presently a single of the only interdisciplinary well being-focused colleges in the condition, providing nationally revered systems in fields this sort of as athletic schooling, communications sciences and conditions, environmental wellness, diet, social perform and much more.
“One of the serious pros of pursuing a well being diploma at Ohio University is the integration between our courses and the possibility to be uncovered to several various disciplines,” said John McCarthy, interim dean of the University of Health and fitness Sciences and Professions. “I see that learners are especially interested in building a difference and aiding some others. Our do the job in the area and our partnerships deliver prospects for college students to make a beneficial influence on the overall health of folks and populations.”
Johnson and McCarthy have joined forces with Mark Weinberg, dean of OHIO’s Voinovich University of Leadership and General public Services, to variety the Ohio University Health Collaborative, which associates with community health and fitness organizations, neighborhood governments, schools and more to address massive-scale group wellbeing needs with a emphasis on Appalachian Ohio. The Ohio College Wellness Collaborative is doing the job to tackle concerns these kinds of as the opioid epidemic, rural wellness inequity, the lack of a timely reaction to disease outbreaks in the region, health and fitness insurance policy disruption thanks to financial concerns, insufficient broadband access as healthcare technologies advances and far more.
“Our college students want to be a element of our operate to tackle these huge-scale difficulties and make a genuine and lasting affect on the communities we provide,” Johnson reported.
For additional information and facts, take a look at ohio.edu/wellbeing.
By the numbers
- In 2020-21, the most current conferral details available, Ohio University graduated 3,207 pupils in health and relevant programs, making OHIO the biggest producer of healthcare professionals for the point out of Ohio.
- In 2019-20, the College graduated 2,692 college students with bachelor’s degrees in well being professions and relevant fields, making OHIO No. 5 in the country and only 2nd among the public universities for bachelor’s conferrals in health and fitness fields.
- With a current enrollment of 987 college students, Ohio University’s Heritage Higher education of Osteopathic Drugs trains much more doctors than any other community college in the state and is the state’s greatest producer of most important care medical professionals.
- U.S. News ranks the Heritage Higher education 14th in the country for most graduates training key care. Nearly 60 percent of Heritage College graduates exercise in the point out of Ohio, and a person in a few of those is functioning in an underserved group, building the faculty deeply significant to health care obtain in Ohio.
- Ohio College has 4,349 learners enrolled in graduate and undergraduate nursing systems, creating it the largest school of nursing of any university dependent in Ohio.
- Market.com ranks Ohio University as the state’s most effective faculty for nursing and the 17th most effective in the nation based mostly on economic and pupil existence knowledge as properly as testimonials from learners and alumni.
- OHIO’s on line RN to BSN was one particular of the first of its variety, totally distant bachelor’s completion degrees available to associate diploma-educated nurses. It is ranked 13th best on-line RN to BSN plans in the state by Faculty Factual.
- The Heritage College’s Group Wellness Systems and mobile health and fitness clinics provide underserved clients in 25 p.c of Ohio’s counties.